Friday, April 10, 2009

And help you to forget

"Ophelia was a tempest cyclone,
a goddamn hurricane.
Your common sense, your best defense,
they wasted, and in vain.

For Ophelia'd know your every woe,
and every pain you'd ever had.
She'd sympathize and dry your eyes,
help you to forget...

And, help you to forget."

'Ophelia' ~ Natalie Merchant

One of my favourite songs, videos, artists. Such a moving piece on the collective consciousness of women, and also on the split from reality/mental illness, and the stereotypes and roles, both chosen and directed, that women have taken through the centuries.

Ophelia is such a tragic soul, the one woman besides Juliet and Lady Macbeth, that stand out to me and linger in my memory from my Shakespearean studies. She is one of those characters that I am ever left wondering about, wanting to know more, wanting to explore her heart and mind. Ophelia, like the girls from 'Virgin Suicides', and Daisy in 'The Great Gatsby'. Mysteries that will never be fully solved, but that keep us riveted, wondering, and full of contemplation.

I always feel a bit like these Ophelia's, so many pieces that make-up the person I am, sometimes conflicting, sometimes in harmony, and ever-evolving.

(song of the day)


2 comments: