Thursday, January 31, 2008

and not in a friendly way

"even if we never talk again after tonight, please know that i am forever changed because of who you are, and what you've meant to me. which, while i do appreciate it, i'd never need a picture of birds bought at a diner to remind me of."

there is something about this scene, the vulnerability in it, and that moment where you know that what is being opened up will change everything. it could have been terribly cheesy, and i am not much of a fan of ben afflick, though i do love him as holden. to me it is believable, relatable, and painful in that way that when i first saw it i watched it through my fingers, with my hands covering my eyes, dreading what the outcome would be.

i think there is this universal feeling to it. that feeling of falling into an impossible situation, and having it burn you so deeply that you feel there is no way you can keep your feelings inside any longer. and that risk, that utter and complete risk, of telling someone you are in love with them in the face of rejection.

beyond this scene, there are so many other things i love about chasing amy. alyssa is one of those characters that i relate to on a under the skin level, and i loved how complex they made her friendship with holden, and her own self-actualized reality. i love the friendship between holden and banky, and the wit and pop culture peppered in to a very real love story.

the scene at the club, which includes a send up to the jaws scar conversation is a close second to favorites of mine, but this one always wins out.

the video cuts out before you see the end of the scene, but i sort of like the way it leaves it up in the air; even though i know what else happens in that rain.

chasing amy


1 comment:

  1. I love that scene. I love that movie. If I were in Holden's situation I don't know that I could have said all that out loud, but I would imagine that every person would love to have someone say something like that to them.

    ReplyDelete