Monday, November 12, 2007

he thinks i just became famous and that's what messed me up

keep art alive; art by joe sorren

words about music and short story collections hold court in the realm of favorite things of mine; nick hornby's songbook is a bit of both, which is probably why i am loving it so much. one of the viewpoints that nick hornby puts forth that i found both significant and thought-provoking is the notion that there is a difference in relating a song to a moment in one's life (i.e. phil collins' against all odds will always remind me of joel the pole vaulter, the first boy i ever slow danced with) and a song that one loves just because it speaks to them, moves them, hits on something that feels so intrinsically you that it carries along in the soundtrack of our lives - spanning a lifetime. he mentions that i was in this vein of thought that he wrote the book, and not as a memory recollection.

at first, when i read this perspective i was somewhat turned off. i sat there on my front steps, book in hand, and thought to myself "i cannot fathom loving a song that does not attach itself to a memory, a person, or a time in my life."

but, then i had to think deeper, and wonder "is that true?" are there not songs in my lifetime soundtrack that have enormous impact to my life, yet at the same time are not attached to anything specific? the answer is a resounding yes. an, in this i agree with nick hornby's take on it; that those songs are the ones we continue to love, that we carry along with us, and that often open our eyes to different things - and feelings - in every passing year that we turn up the volume and sing-a-long to those songs.

leonard cohen's famous blue raincoat is one of those songs, as is bob dylan's tangled up in blue, the cure's pictures of you, cowboy junkies' misguided angel, and sinead o'connor's emperor's new clothes. i could come up with more, lists of more, but these are the first five that came to mind.

what are some of yours?

11 comments:

  1. I had ti think about this a bit, but I think I understand what he's trying to say. I think the first five, off the top of my head, would be:

    New Order - Blue Monday
    My Bloody Valentine - Soon
    Ride - Twisterella
    The Cure - Inbetween Days
    Depeche Mode - Lie To Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. blue monday is a great choice for what i perceived as what he was trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Pictures of You would also work nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, and lots to think about. So many songs relate back to my own experiences in my life it's hard to think of songs that I just enjoy that don't relate have a signficance.

    But I've been know amongst friends for being a sucker for pure Top 40 drivel like
    Madonna's Like a Virgin or Christina Aguilera's Genie in a Bottle. And really there is no connection except it feeds a guilty pleasure for just a pop song to run thru my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've always loved like a virgin; but, then again, i love that era of madonna.

    i used to have a version of genie in a bottle that was mashed up with the strokes (i think), that was quite keen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think an impact without a memory attached is a lot more common than we let on. At least, sometimes a song is just there for what it is, you know?

    That being said, I gave five a shot as well ...

    The Beach Boys: "God Only Knows"
    The Monroes: "What Do All The People Know?"
    The Clarks: "Better Off Without You"
    Beastie Boys: "Body Movin' (Fatboy Slim Remix)"

    And the best song I can think of for something like this?

    "American Pie" by Don McLean

    ReplyDelete
  7. i was hoping you'd answer this one, tom (btw, i've missed you).

    american pie is a perfect example.

    (what, no journey? *giggles*)

    the more i think of it, the more i can think of. songs that just hit you hard, and you never grow tired of, but really have little to no actual significance in your life.

    the example nick hornby used was bruce springsteen's thunder road.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thunder Road is excellent! I think I was going with "Bruce-free" on this one. Besides, I'm a little Bruced out lately ... too much of E-Street Radio on Sirius combined with using "The Rising" in my journalism class this week.

    I'll add "Worlds Apart (Separate Ways)" by Journey but ONLY if the video is allowed to be included :).

    And I missed you too ... kinda feels good to have my weeknights back after all the coffee monkeying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i just thought of one that i cannot believe i forgot, and that would be tiny dancer. though in a memory recall of my life it does always bring up singing it for kate's birthday, and my love of almost famous.

    and, for my official journey-selection, i would choose faithfully (video included, though it is not near as keen as the video to worlds apart (separate ways).

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Steve Perry moustache-shaving scene in that video? Priceless.

    And I think of Almost Famous whenever I hear Tiny Dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. there are good videos that played on mtv, back in the day, that are memorable for their thematic or near-film quality content. or, those that just are filled with fun, energy, or spirit.

    and then there are the high-quality cheese. steve perry shaving is in that category, i think. how can you put a price on that? you just can't!!!

    perry shaving, and his hair...and in your song/video choice...that sleeveless t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete