Thursday, November 15, 2007

don't start me trying now

it was on the road to work today that i heard this song, a song i've heard and sung along to millions of times, and yet it hit me in that way that almost feels new, this morning. perhaps it was because i was not the one driving, that i had the opportunity to allow my gaze to wander as the city flew past my passenger side window. it was the studio signs and the slight glimpse of protest signs; the woman pushing an empty baby carriage filled with torn paper bags; and the man with the too-small ponytail on his blue tooth headset in the red convertible.

i felt like the city was suddenly this slideshow of hope and despair, disarray and rebirth, voices and silence. and, somehow in all of this, elliot's lyrics of zeroes, wishes and poison arms, it just resonated.

"someone's always coming around here trailing some new kill
says i seen your picture on a hundred dollar bill
and what's a game of chance to you, to him is one of real skill

so glad to meet you
angeles

picking up the ticket shows there's money to be made
go on and lose the gamble that's the history of the trade
you add up all the cards left to play to zero
and sign up with evil

angeles

don't start me trying now
cos i'm all over it
angeles

i could make you satisfied in everything you do
all your 'secret wishes' could right now be coming true
and be forever with my poison arms around you

no one's gonna fool around with us
no one's gonna fool around with us

so glad to meet you
angeles."

3 comments:

  1. I often have that feeling while listening to music during my commute, while on a train or bus but especially when walking. Sometimes there's something about a particular song that gets me to see things, to really see things. I love those moments. Interestingly enough, as I type this comment I'm listening to a song that has been like that for me in the past.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sln6sKCXdg

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can so feel how seconds would sound/affect me if i was on the train, in chicago. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it was cool. I haven't had that experience in a while, mostly because I've been listening to podcasts on my commute most days recently. The last time I remember having a moment like that it was to the song "Pale Shelter" by Tears for Fears.

    ReplyDelete