Saturday, July 5, 2008

looking away



keep art alive; art by joshua petker


“we grew still and stared at each other. it seemed incredibly dangerous to look into each other’s eyes, but we were doing it. for how long can you behold another person? before you have to think of yourself again, like dipping the brush back in for more ink. for a very long time; you didn’t need to get more ink, there was no reason to get anything else, because she was as good as me, she lived on earth like me, she suffered as i did. it was she who looked away and pulled the sheet to her chin.”


no one belongs here more than you ~ miranda july


special thanks to achtung baby for posting this amazing quote

1 comment:

  1. I met Miranda July a few weeks ago at work. I rang her up. I immediately recognized her. I turned into such a book geek. I told her I loved her book, her movie and even her incredible article in the New Yorker.
    She was very petite, shy and was wearing a Boy Scout uniform shirt.
    She blushed, said "thank you" and took off. And like that she was gone.
    I think she was shocked that I actually recognized her. I read her book in one sitting at night when M was asleep next to me. She's amazing.

    ReplyDelete